Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Jeff Bailey Reviews Leora's Letters by Joy Neal Kidney


 I wasn’t sure that I would find Leora’s Letters all that good. I’m pretty much an Sci-Fi/action/thriller fan. I was so wrong. It’s one of my favorite reads of the year. I found it a gripping, well-written and a genuinely moving book. My family is a military family, so I understood and identified with the Leora’s accounts of the other side of WWII.

Leora’s Letter’s is a memoir of the effects of WWII on one family, told mostly in the words and voice of the people who lived it. Leora’s Letters is told in part as a narrative from the author and mostly in the form personal letters sent back and forth amongst the family members. It is a little reminiscent of the movie Fried Green Tomatoes except that the family members tell the personal side of the story in their letters, not The Bee Cha’ma’ thru a memory narrative. I found the book to be a mesmerizing read, so much so, that I plan to keep the book in my personal library. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Leora’s Letters at the top of Oprah Winfrey’s Book Club’s recommended reading list someday if it’s not already there. Heartwarming and soul touching.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Bailey Reviews Leora's Letters by Joy Neal Kidney

  I wasn’t sure that I would find Leora’s Letters all that good. I’m pretty much an Sci-Fi/action/thriller fan. I was so wrong. It’s one of...