Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Meet author Dan McDowell







              Today I'm profiling author Dan McDowell.

Dan McDowell was born in Dallas, Texas. He has a BA in Social Work from Howard Payne University and a MS in Business Management and Leadership from Tarleton State University. He and his family currently reside near San Antonio, Texas. Dan enjoys 80s and 90s nostalgia (especially movies and music), plucking the guitar, and writing stories. He released his debut novel, Level Zero, in 2021.



Good Morning Dan,

Q: What prompted you to start writing?


A: I was stressed out to the max and found writing to be an incredible release for me when I discovered it. It didn’t hurt that it was fun.


 

Q: Describe the genre of your books.


 A: I would say they teeter between mystery, psychological thriller, and horror, but now and then, I’ll change it up. It’s largely dictated by mood.


 


Q: Most readers have an all-time favorite book and author. What’s your all-time favorite book and author?


A: The Bible, God. Second to that, I’m definitely a fan of Dean Koontz. I haven’t read his entire catalog but I enjoy most of his work. Velocity, Hideaway, and Tick-Tock are among my favorites.


 

Q: What words of wisdom do you have for our readers?


A: Imagination can take us to incredible places. What’s holding you back from sharing yours with us? You might find your quite the storyteller yourself.


 

Q: Do you ever suffer from writer’s block? How do you handle it?


A: Write my way out of it. If I’m really stuck I will write a short story or do another project to ease my mind, that always cleans the slate and gives me a breath of fresh air to get back to it.


 

Q: Every writer I know is also, an avid reader. I know I am. What new author have you discovered lately that you’re reading? Tell us about him or her.


A: I really enjoyed the book, Furious: Sailing Into Terror, by Jeffrey James Higgins. 

This is his first effort and a very impressive debut. It had me hooked from the first page. He combines harrowing description with relatable characters and situations. Furious would make a great movie!


 

Q: If readers can read only one book this month, why should it be yours? 


A: If they want a dark, unconventional, and unpredictable take on horror/thriller fiction, they’re sure to be in for a surprise. I strive to do it differently. Love it or hate it, that’s my approach at this point.


 

Q: What are you working on for your next release?

 

A: I’m in the final editing phase for the spiritual successor to my current novel, Level Zero. Oak Hollow will release just in time for Halloween on October 28th.


For more on Dan McDowell, check out his web page, or follow him on GoodReads or FaceBook

 

For more on Jeff Bailey, check out his web page or follow him on GoodReads or his LinkedIn Blog.



Today's book selection:


Warning Light is an espionage thriller. I now have a new favorite author for my list. Warning Light is a fast paced, cold war, action story about a failed ‘excursion’ in Iran and Zac Miller’s journey back. From page one, nothing was as it seemed. I was so engrossed in the story that I carried the book so I could read a page or two at a time whenever my scheduled opened near a chair. I especially enjoyed the rich descriptions. I wondered during many passages if the author had been to these locals and how much of this story might be true. The intrigue didn’t stop until the last page, ‘This is your new life…’



Contact: jeff.bailey4007@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeff Bailey Reviews Across The Universe by Robbie Sheerin

  Robbie Sheerin 's new novella, Across the Universe, Not Really a Beatles Story sure is quirky in an offbeat humorous way. A bit of Sc...